Thursday, January 26, 2012

Five Months Old - 3 months in Boston

It's been five days since Matt and Ella left Boston.  It's even more stressful than I (Nina) imagined it would be.  Ella continues to wake up at all hours of the night and there's nothing I can do to help Matt from all the way over here.  I should stop worrying because I know they'll get through it but I am losing sleep, too.  I miss them both terribly. 

We've exhausted our three month stay at the Yawkey house and I was fortunate enough to get hospitality housing.  On Tuesday, I  moved into a room in a house that's tucked away in quiet neighborhood.  I now live with a retired couple (Mike and Mary) who are generous enough to lend me a room for the remainder of my stay.  There is also an opera student who lives and has been living at the house for the past two years and happens to be originally from Colorado.  Mike and Mary's youngest son is 30 and recently got married to Cambodian woman. He's teaching English abroad and continues to live in Cambodia. 

Tuesday was a hectic day.  After making the move in the moring, I went to the hospital.  Ari tested positive for infection and the first thing they did was another esophagram.  The didn't think there was a leak but they wanted to rule it out.  Turns out, there's a leak in her esophagus at the site of connection.  They took her in for minor surgery and inserted a new chest tube to drain the secretions that are leaking into her pleural cavity.  Drainage is important for the esophagus to heal.  The leak is small and they do NOT plan to do major surgery to correct it at this time.  They believe it will close up on it's own with time.  TIME.  Hopefully, this will not add to the lenght of our stay.  The plan is to continue to wean her off the drugs and to up her feeds.  This will, however, delay oral feeds. 

She is five months old today.  She looks comfortable and is doing well.  They did take her down to interventional radiology today to make sure the chest tube wasn't too close or poking her esophagus and everything looked fine.  She's having poopy diapers that look normal - finally.

It snowed last night and was bit chilly today but expecting it to be in the mid-fifties tomorrow.  Thanks for reading.  Until next time...

5 comments:

Auntie Am said...

Love you Nina. As Matt has said before-you are an amazing woman, sister-in-law, wife and mother to your little girls. I wish there was more I could do for you both you and Matt-but for now-prayers are all I can offer. Love you all so much. Be well.

Joy Fenton said...

Thinking about you Nina!!! Let us Fentons know if you guys need anything during your stay!!!

Cousin Becky said...

Big Hug to you (((Nina))) you are an amazing woman!

Angela said...

You can do this Nina! I learned this week in my bible study that God does not give us more suffering than he can comfort. I know that is hard to believe at a time like this, but I believe it to be true. Seek Him.

Nina said...

Thank you all for your wonderful comments.