Ari had her second EGD (Esophagogastroduodenoscopy) (feel free to use that if you play Words with Friends or Scrabble) today the purpose of which was to dilate the esophagus. This was her second dilation. They dilated from 4mm to 8mm. There will be at least three more dilations scheduled a week apart. The goal is to get to 12mm. They've been dilating but gently for fear of creating a leak which is a possibility with dilation.
Tomorrow, she's going in for a cardiac catheterization which is a procedure to dilate her veins. The blood supply return to the heart from the head and neck has not been taking a direct route via the internal jugular veins. This is the reason for her continued swollen state in jaw, neck, and upper chest. We're hoping that this fixes the issue and she can start using her veins the way they're meant to be used. They will thread a wire first and then a catheter from her groin or femoral vein up and in through the heart and then into the veins in her neck. Praying everything goes well.
As she grows, so do her lungs and more healthy lung tissue. Everyday as she grows and gets stronger, we're moving in the right direction. The nutritionist have done a great job growing her. She's a healthy weight and a long baby (no sign of stunted growth). She has been on minimal vent settings and we hope to take her breathing tube out on Friday.
![]() |
| Miss Ella in a tree |
![]() |
| EKG leads recording the hearts electrical activity |
| She loves her sock monkey bunny |
| Mmmm... that's tasty. |


1 comment:
Ariana, I first learned about you from your great grandmother. She told me what a precious baby you are. Your grandpa was just a little boy when I last saw him and your great aunt brought me to your site. This makes us cousins somewhere down the line. I sure hope that I get to meet you and your family in person someday as I live in Oregon too. So sweet baby you keep up the good fight and know that I, too, am in your corner.
Post a Comment