After 76 long days, we finally reached the place and point that our surgeon, Dr. Jennings, will start the Foker Procedure. It is still a long ways to go from here but a very important 1st step. First of all, we were told it was going to be a long procedure but we had no idea how long that would really be. Ariana our little warrior princess was brought into the operating at 8am, she was not brought out of the OR until, 12am. Yes, that would be a 16 hour surgery. The surgery was made more difficult, by the prior attempts in Portland but the surgeon felt like she will still be a good candidate. I can barely handle a 30-minute dentist cleaning so I already know she’s tougher than me.
The thoracic inlet (in thru the neck) had lots of scarring so they cut a little at a time, so that they didn’t hit any major blood vessels or damage the vocal cords. The lower end of the esophagus they trimmed the scar tissue and they also lowered the diaphragm which was brought up for some reason in the prior PDX surgeries.
Both upper and lower esophagus were set on traction with sutures on the left side, which he will apply daily tension and try to get 1mm or 2mm of growth a day. They may still need to go in a few more times if the sutures are pulled out or if they need to replace the sutures (about every 2 weeks). We did find out the EA gap is currently 6cm, which is pretty large for a little body.
We kissed her good night and went home around 1am, exhausted and emotionally drained but hopeful and relieved that she has made it this far. She’s a special girl and we want to be able to take her home.
4 comments:
Thanks so much for all the details about Ari's surgery. wow, 16 hours in surgery, I would have gone crazy waiting for her to come out! Hope Matt is feeling better and little Miss Ella is starting to adapt to life in Boston. Matt is so lucky to have found such a wonderful, caring wife and Mother like his Nina. Love you all!
I read the blog every time you post a new one. Thanks for giving us so much information about little miss cutie pie. You all are amazing. Rest Rest Rest and after that rest some more. I am sure that is hard to do, but it is so necessary for all of you. Love and kisses from all of us in Chicago area.
Hello, Brave Family of the Warrior Princess.
My grandkids call me Grandma WhoWho and I want you to know that I am in *your* mom's church CARE Group in Kennewick WA. Because *I* care a lot about her and want to keep you all in my prayers, I asked for your blog address and have joined as a follower. I hope that's OK with you.
May you all--and that's Ari, too--feel the love of God for you and around you today.
Sincerely,
Grandma WhoWho (aka "Judith) ;)
Thanks Debbi and welcome aboard Grandma WhoWho
Post a Comment