Thursday, December 15, 2011

Step Forward

Mmmmmm… fluffernutter.  Yum.  How come the grocery stores in Oregon don’t sell Fluff? 

About Ari... the esophagram came back showing the gap at 1.4 cm, she started at 6.5 cm so this is great news.  Her swelling is coming down and they expect to see that continue, if the trend continues, they will do a thoracoscopy (surgery) next week.  During that surgery they plan to replace the sutures and continue to tension.  Ari is on very high doses of medication so they are working with the medication team to shift her drugs around.  They want to reduce her morphine so they can use it again post-op. 

Following up from the last surgery, the fluid output in her right chest has come down to a trickle.  In two weeks they’ll re-introduce milk through her gj-tube.  It's about time that she gets some "home cooked" meals.

Currently reading The Magic Finger by Roald Dahl to Ari.  We're curious to know what you're reading.  Let us know by leaving us a comment.

Good night moon,
Nina 
This is what Ari looked like last week

This is what Ari looks like today - much improved!

7 comments:

Aunt Laurie said...

What wonderful news to start my day with! I think all the prayers and happy, healing thoughts are working their magic! I am so glad that you are reading to Ari! I just finished a heart-wrenching book last night by Jodi Picoult called "Handle With Care". Needless to say, it was a very tough read.

Nina said...

Jodi Picoult is a good one! She has written several great books.

Amber (Auntie Am) said...

I second that. I've read almost all of her books. My sister's Keeper-uugghh. I finished that in an airport and was sobbing. I kept getting asked if I was ok. haha.

19 minutes-another great one. Gosh-I've read at least 3 more but can't rememember now. Diane Chamberlain's-Diary of CeeCee Wilkes-you won't be able to put it down. Love you ladies!! Kiss (or simulate a kiss) to Ari for me!

Jonathan said...

I like the home-cooked meals idea.
I am reading the entire Sherlock Holmes collection, just finished Les Misérables, and I read Anja Where the Wild Things Are
Rachel is reading Europe Central, but more often The Hungry Caterpillar.
We've been praying for you guys, glad to hear things are going a bit more your way.
Much love,
Jonathan and Rachel and Nellie and Anneliese

Samantha Gregory said...

Have you read The Hunger Game series? A little disturbing but a good read. Thanks for keeping us all updated on your sweet family. We think about you all every day!

Jimmy Cox said...

Yea! Way to go Ari, you are a champ! I've been reading "you can't eat a princess" to Audrey for the past few weeks, it is her book of choice recently. That is a good idea on Roald Dahl, will have to do that too.
We are thinking of all of you during the holidays.
Jimmy

Mattina said...

The Hungry Caterpillar is one of Ella's favorites. She hasn't yet been introduced to Where the Wild Things are but would like to some day.
Actually, I have read The Hunger Games, all three books, to Ari before I decided to switch to more child friendly reading. :) Very entertaining read. I hear the movie comes out in March.
You Can't Eat a Princess sounds fantastically funny. And, it's about food - how can you go wrong there!?!